Sunday, August 8, 2010

FAQ Part 2

· Will you come back to America during your volunteer service?

No, probably not. I will likely only return to America during my period of service if there is a medical emergency that requires that I be sent back to receive treatment or if there is a serious family emergency.

Would you like to come to Australia for Christmas in 2011?


· What if there is a medical emergency? What if you get sick?

Unfortunately, I will get sick just like I would if I stayed in America for two years. Two years in a tropical environment with different foods, different people, and different levels of sanitation, however, means that I get to look forward to the occasional parasite, flu, cough, or skin rash. It’s just gonna’ happen, especially early on and I’ll get over it. Peace Corps will be providing shots, anti-malaria pills, a first aid kit, and anything else I could need. They will also provide medical advice during training.


If I do come down with something more serious than a small cough, there is an in-country Peace Corps health office just for Peace Corps volunteer. I’ve been told by returned volunteers that the Peace Corps health service is exceptional and will take very good care of us. In cases of severe medical problems, volunteers can be flown to Australia or even back to America to receive medical treatment of a higher caliber.


Peace Corps also has a copy of my glasses prescription in case I need a replacement pair and can provide prescription medication if needed. They take care of everything.


Now, just to set your mind at ease, I’ve recently gone through a physical examination, received up-to-date vaccinations, and have had blood work done. I’m about as fit now as I’ve ever been and we'll receive a complete run down of what not to do in country. Since it's been asked, no, Vanuatu doesn’t have any, dengerous animals. The only major threat to my health will probably be falling coconuts.


· Did you get to choose where you’re going?

Not really. I received an invitation and I could accept or reject it. At one point during the application process I elected two regions that I would prefer, but I didn't get much say on my invitation. Rejecting the invitation would probably have kept me stateside for a few more months at least.


· What about your home? What about your stuff?

The house mates and I have offered my room to someone already, but nothing has been finalized yet. If this new person accepts the room and signs the lease, he may also take some of my furniture. Some things like the musical instruments will go into storage, possibly in my parents' basement if they're okay with that. Dad might like to have his cornet back anyway.


I have a few dozen books that I will either try to sell or give away. I may post the list here to see if anyone wants them.


· What will you take with you?

At most, 80 pounds of essentials including a few sets of clothes and maybe a laptop computer and cell-phone. I'll need to be able to carry all of my worldly possessions at once, which is something I haven't been able to do since my first year of college.


· What do your parents think?

I’m not surprised that people have asked me this, just surprised by how many have asked. Mom and Dad have known that I’ve been preparing for this for a long time and they seem happy for me and fully supportive. They didn’t even seem that surprised when I told them. They probably don’t like that I will be unable to communicate with them as often, but they tell me that this will be a great opportunity and they know that I’ve wanted to travel for a long time.


· Are you going to grow a beard?

No. Why do people keep asking?


If you have any more questions, please post them in the comments section below.


- Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment