Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Peace Corps Vanuatu Welcome Book

The first question most people say when I tell them about my Peace Corps trip is "Vanuatu? Never heard of it. Where is it?" I've listed some links on the right side of the page that give some answers. The Peace Corps Vanuatu Welcome Book has all kinds of interesting information, particularly little details for Peace Corps volunteers that you probably won't find elsewhere.

  • There's a good map on Page 2.
  • Pages 6 and 7 describe the work that PC volunteers do in Vanuatu. I will be a part of the Provincial Economic and Community Empowerment project.
  • People keep asking me whether I'll have Internet access, electricity, etc. I don't know. Probably not. Pages 14-18 describe living conditions. If you're interested to know what my daily existence will be like, take a look. I'll fill you in on more details as I have them.
  • The section of crime and safety is a bit of an eye opener. It's intended to prepare the volunteer to avoid any issues, but it also sheds some light on the culture of Vanuatu. The section on "kriping" on page 26 is, well, creepy.

While I plan on sharing a lot about the country, I'm going to try not to just repeat what you can already find elsewhere.

- Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment